Prof. Audrey G. Bennett | Timeline of Past Presentations
- Bennett, A. 2014. “Transformational Art and Math Strategies found in Indigenous Cultures.” United Federation of Teachers, NYC, May 13. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2014. “Advancing Stem Through Culturally-Situated Arts-Based Learning Workshop.” Georgia Tech, March 28. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2013. “Art Builds Bridges Between Creative Youth and Computing.” UMASS Lowell, October 17, 2013. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2013. “Algorhythms APP.” APP Inventor Summit, The MIT Center for Mobile Learning at The Media Lab, July 18, 2013. Invited.
- Bennett, A., Eglash, R., Hatley, L., Sheldon, J. 2013. “MIT App Inventor: Empowering Youth as Producers in Media Ecologies.” Engaging Children’s Voices in Media and Technology Workshop, Interaction Design and Children (IDC) at The New School, NYC, June 24, 2013. Refereed.
- Bennett, A. 2012. “STEM Engagement.” APP Inventor Summit, The MIT Center for Mobile Learning at The Media Lab, July 13, 2012. Invited.
- Eglash, R. and Bennett, A. 2012. “STEM Engagement: Merging Design, Art, Math, Computing, and Social Justice with CSDT Apps.” Diversity Speaker Series, The Media Lab, MIT, November 12, 2012. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2012. “Stem Education From Life: Design, Art, Computing, and Social Justice,” 2012 NAEA National Convention: Emerging Perspectives, Connecting Teaching, Learning, and Research, March 1-4, 2012, Hilton Hotel, NYC. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2012. “Design Your Future: A Math, Computing, And Art Workshop for Youth” Un-poster session, Computing Education for the 21st Century PI and Community Meeting, National Center for Women & IT (NCWIT) and the National Science Foundation, February 2-3, 2012, Renaissance Hotel, Washington, DC. Invited.
- Bennett, A. October 2011. “Branding Taipei.” Design at Edges: 2011 IDA (International Design Alliance) Congress, Young Designers Workshop, October 16. Taipei, Taiwan. Keynote.
- Bennett, A. September 2011. Computer-mediated, collaborative design of a cross-cultural, static image. Design, Development, and Research Conference, September 26-27. Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Cape Town, South Africa. Keynote.
- Bennett, A. 2011. “Graphic Design Research.” National Taiwan University of the Arts, Taipei, Taiwan. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2010. “Graphic Design Research for Social Good, from Activism to Entrepreneurship: My philosophy for how our current curriculum can prepare student designers to create their own jobs in industry.” The Future of Design Education, Icograda Design Education Manifesto Anniversary, November 2. Shangdong University of Art and Design, Jinan, China. Keynote.
- Bennett, A. 2010. “Global Interaction in the Design Research Classroom.” Design Research: Building a Culture from Scratch panel, AIGA’s New Contexts. New Practices education conference, October 9. North Carolina State University’s School of Design, Raleigh. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2009. “Culturally-Situated Design Tools: Facilitating Math and Computing Education with Design Agency.” Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in IT and Computing Conference: K12 Computing Teacher’s Workshop, Tucson, Arizona, September 30-October 3, 2009. Invited.
- Geisler, C., Grice, R., Bennett, A., Fernheimer, J., Krull, R., Search, P., Zappen, J. 2009. “Tech-Mediated Communication: Innovating the User Experience in a Mediated World.” ATTW 2009: Beyond Work? Technical Communication in Professional, Community, and Social Networks, March 11, San Francisco, CA. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2008. “Graphic Design Research.” Sage College, Graphic Design Department, November 25. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2008. “Cornrow Curves: an Exemplar for Design Agency in Ethnocomputing.” NCWIT Bi-annual meeting, Irvine, California, November 5-7, 2008. Invited.
- Bennett, A. 2007. “Boyer’s Model of Discovery: A case study on effective cross-cultural graphics.” Intent/Content, AIGA’s first research focused conference, Nashville, Tennessee, May 31-June 2. intentcontent.aiga.org. Keynote.
- Bennett, A., Diodato, S. and Gaetano, A. 2007. “The Heuristic Evaluation of a Culturally-Specific Graphic for Cross-Cultural Communication.” Emerging Trends in Design Research, International Association of Societies of Design Research, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, November 12-15. Total number of proposals entered: 684; Total number of proposals accepted for presentation: 323 (47%). Refereed.
- Eglash, R. and Bennett, A. 2007. “Cultural Robotics: on the Intersections of Identity and Autonomy in People and Machines.” Science, Technology, and the Historical Influence of Race: An Interdisciplinary Conversation, Drexel University, March 9-10. Organized by Kali Gross and Amy Slaton of Drexel University and Keith Wailoo of Rutgers University. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. and Nini, P. 2006. “On the Shoulders of Giants: The Rise of Research in Graphic Design,” a panel, Intent/Content, AIGA’s first research focused conference, Nashville, TN. Refereed.
- Bennett, A. 2006. “The Literacy Family and Other Legible Relatives.” TypeCon’06, Boston, Massachusetts, August 9-13, 2006. Refereed.
- Geisler, C., et al. 2006. “Usable Content in a Post-Document World.” IPCC 2006 IEEE Conference on the Convergence of Technology and Professional Communication. Saratoga Springs, New York, October 23-25, 2006. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2006. “Meta-DesignInquiry: Analysis of a Participatory Symposium.” DesignInquiry ’06, Vinalhaven Island, Maine, June 22-27, 2006. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2005. “Design Lab Book: Teaching Collaborative Design with Empirical Inquiry.” Revolution: Philadelphia, AIGA’s Education Conference, Philadelphia, PA. Refereed.
- Bennett, A. 2004. “When Technology Facilitates Collaborative Designing Between US Educators and Third World Participants in Real World Creative Problem Solving.” University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. Invited.
- Eglash, R. and A. Bennett. 2004. “Preliminary Evaluation of Culturally Situated Design Tools” NSF-ITWF/ITR & EWF PI Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 25, 2004. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2004. “Appropriating Mathematics for the Black Aesthetic in Graphic Design.” 4S & EASST Conference, Public Proofs: Science, Technology, and Democracy, Centre de Sociologie de I’Innovation, Paris, France, August 25-28, 2004. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2003. “When Negative Emotions Effect Positive Change.” The International Conference on Designing Pleasurable Products and Interfaces, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 23–26, 2003. Refereed.
- Bennett, A. 2003. “A Graphic Design Approach to Acquiring Audience Input in the Design of Social Robots.” Workshop on Social Studies of Social Robotics, Harvey Mudd College, April 3–5, 2003. Contributed.
- Eglash, R. & Bennett, A. 2002. “Evaluation of Culturally-Situated Design Tools.” University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. & Restivo, S. 2002. “From a Socially Intelligent Robot Concept to an Ad: Eliciting Audience Participation throughout the Graphic Design Process.” 3rd International Conference on Design and Emotion, Loughborough, UK. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. & Eglash, R. 2002. “Dynamic Interactive Aesthetics: Facilitating Affective Input from the Audience in the Graphic Design Process.” 3rd International Conference on Design and Emotion, Loughborough, UK. Contributed.
- Eglash, R. & Bennett, A. 2002. “From Cornrows to Computing.” The Urban Systemic Program of the School District of Philadelphia.” Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Contributed.
- Eglash, R. & Bennett, A. 2002. “Computing Cornrows: Improving Minority Student Achievement Using African Mathematics in the Classroom.” Capital Region Association of Technical Professionals, National Society of Black Engineers held at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Troy, New York. Contributed.
- Eglash. R. & Bennett, A. 2002. “African Fractals: From Cornrow to Computation.” Black Family Technology Week. Institute of Diversity, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Troy, New York. Contributed.
- Eglash, R. & Bennett, A. 2002. “From Cornrows to Computing: African Fractals in the classroom.” American Association for the Advancement of Science’s Lecture Series on Science, Mathematics, and Technology Education. Washington D.C. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2001. “Designing Visual Literacy Assessment into Interdisciplinary Curricula.” Visual Literacy Conference, Visual Literacy Association, Sweden. Virtual Presentation. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2001. “Creatively Designing Socially Intelligent Robots.” IEEE SMC 2001 Conference, Tucson, Arizona. Contributed.
- Bennett, A. 2001. “Visual Literacy for Non–designers: Reconceptualizing the Electronic Workbook.” CADE 01 (Computers in Art & Design Education), Glasgow, UK. Contributed.
- Steinhauer, A. 2000. “Interactive Aesthetics,” CoDesign 2000, Design Research Society, UK. Award: Best Poster Paper Presentation. Contributed.
- Restivo, S. & Steinhauer, A. 2000. “Toward a Socio–Visual Theory of Information & Information Technology.” ISTAS ‘00, IEEE Conference, Rome. Contributed.
- Steinhauer, A. 1999. “An Electronic Workbook: A Template for Discourse between Teacher and Student in Visual Communication.” CADE 99 (Computers in Art and Design Education), University of Teesside, Teesside, UK. Contributed.
- Steinhauer, A. 1999. “College Art Association’s Professional Development Fellowship Program for Artists and Art Historians: Diversifying Our Profession.” 12th Annual National Conference on Race & Ethnicity in American Higher Education (NCORE’99), University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma. Contributed.
- Steinhauer, A. 1997. “A Conversation with Self.” 85th Annual Conference, The College Art Association (CAA), NYC. Contributed.